Anytime Darlin’ – my husband’s favorite.

The blurb and a little background:

Paramedic Jake McKenna drops to his knees beside the young woman. Beaten, starved, she’s barely breathing, burning with fever. He stabilizes her, but when she opens her green eyes and stares, panic-stricken, into his, he realizes this is only the beginning of their relationship.

Devlin Barre has been through hell. If her uncle finds her, she’s dead. When she looks into the warm brown eyes of the paramedic, she knows deep in her bones she can trust this man with her life. Devlin and Jake grow close, but, fearful of commitment, Devlin runs off to rebuild her life, leaving Jake heartbroken.

Five years later, Jake and Devlin meet again. Neither has forgotten a single detail of their time together. Both harbor the secret hope that they can begin again–this time, for keeps. But Devlin isn’t the only person who ran off. Her uncle still waits for the right opportunity to get the one person who got away.

Anytime Darlin’ is the first romance I actually wrote.  By the time I hit the keyboard, the story had been rattling around in my head for quite a while.  A young woman nearly dies.  Her life is turned upside down and she finds herself all alone in the world, on her own at the tender age of seventeen.  In a way I modeled the character, Devlin, on myself.  Although my life wasn’t as riddled with tragedy as Devlin’s, I found myself living on my own at seventeen.  My experiences helped to flesh out my heroine.

Jake, my hero, is an amalgam, made from people I cherish.  He’s one part my husband, one part a former (deceased) boyfriend, one part super hero – in general a 100% plays-his-cards-close-to-the-vest, tough as nails, hard-bodied, fearless Montana rancher.  I have such a big crush on Jake I named my dog for him.

The story takes place in the Midwest and Mountain West – my favorite places!  Devlin travels from Iowa to Illinois to Colorado and back to Iowa, while Jake moves between his family’s ranch in Montana and his job in Colorado.  Finally, his career takes him to Idaho.

The blurb isn’t exactly accurate.  Jake and Devlin separate for close to five years, because Jake, at twenty-four, realizes eighteen year old Devlin needs  space to live her life and make her own decisions, and he knows she’s developing powerful feelings for him.  When their two best friends get married, Devlin and Jake are reunited, with incendiary results.  Repressing all those emotions, you know…

You can find Anytime Darlin’ here, here and here.  I’m always up for a discussion – let me know!

Congrats to Penny Watson on today’s release!  Sweet Magik!

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Anytime Darlin’ – my husband’s favorite.

1. amber skyze says:

This is my favorite story too.

YAY for Penny. Can’t wait to grab my copy. :)

This was a wonderful book, in addition to a really satisfying romance it had suspense, the good kind of tension and a lot of emotion that kept me reading. I loved it.

All of your stories are so emotional, Julia! You created amazing chemistry between the H/h in this one.

Thanks for the shout-out for my book! :)

4. Thanks, Penelope, and Katalina, and Amber! Congrats on the release, Penny!

5. Amarinda Jones says:

I remember when this book first came out with that god awful cover that looked like it had been designed by a crack addict. While I don’t generally care for the Siren covers – shock, horror, how dare I say that? I dare…a lot – this one is pretty good. Good luck with it.

6. Amarinda – nice description. I must admit it is quite apt. Yes, this is a good Siren cover and it’s been selling quite well over the past year. Thanks!

Bought it, read it. Thanks, Julia. You’re luring me back into reading romances again. Not that I dislike the genre, it’s just that writing them taught me all the tricks and conventions and I couldn’t read one for pleasure. I was too busy examining what the author had done and figuring out if I would’ve done it differently. So it’s been a while since I’ve read a romance. Time to reacquaint myself with the genre.

8. Thanks, Jaye. Yes, I know, pretty standard fare, but if you can come up with compelling characters it feels good. I try to avoid too many cliches. Not always possible.

It’s not cliches or formulas. It’s just being too familiar with how everything is put together. For a while I had to stop reading mysteries for the same reason. Kills the suspense when I can guess what the author is going to do next. Heh.

10. Jaye – I think this is why I don’t read much romance. I’m too critical. I stick to other genres for the most part.

Yup, remember that cover to, didn’t do the story or storyteller justice.
    You’re an excellent writer, Ms. Julia.

Oops wrong to-too. Should have had another cup of coffee before commenting…

13. Sandra – yes, you and Amarinda would remember. I was going to fix the ‘too’ for you! What a hideous cover that was!