Is it odd to like lasagna served over lettuce?

I know, it’s sick, right?  I also like my Bolognese sauce served over ice cold lettuce instead of pasta.  I enjoy the contrast between hot and bubbly and cold and crunchy.  Plus I don’t like commercial pasta.  To me it tastes about the same as cardboard.  Now when hubby gets out his hand-crank pasta maker and makes his own pasta, I love it.  Between the two of us, we make a mean wild mushroom lasagna.  So now I’ll segue…

Jaye Manus, over at Must Love Fiction, is talking about romance.  Well, she and I have been talking about romance.  Go read.  She liked my paranormal, Incorporeal, which is very cool.  She brings up a good point – us Indies can take chances.  I’ll go further and say we’re wasting our time if we don’t.  Well, I suppose if you wanna make the big bucks you can re-write Twilight, but if you’re a good writer, if writing is your passion, you are missing a opportunity to push the envelope.

Some Indie writers are definitely taking risks.  Stant Litore with The Zombie Bible, In Pieces, by Geoffrey Mann – to name two whose works I’ve read recently.  Not your cookie cutter stories by any means.

Let’s go for it.  Like Jaye says, readers may think they want hamburger, but serve filet mignon and see what happens. (Or maybe Bolognese over lettuce?)

This entry was posted in book bloggers, book reviews, Books, Contemporary Romance, Food, popular culture, romance, Romance/Suspense, science fiction, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Is it odd to like lasagna served over lettuce?

Hey, that actually sounds good. The sauce on the lettuce. I like lettuce, I like sauce.

But yes, it is time to take advantage of the opportunities to take risks.

Lettuce and sauce, lettuce and sauce… dang, I’m getting hungry.

2. Jaye – LMAO! Thanks. Yummy opportunities.

It is scary at first, but definitely worth the risk! I say go for it. :)

I have to stop reading your blog at 5am I always leave hungry. lol

Nothing wrong with that. When I serve pasta/ bolognese I often dish up some crispy greens and cherry tomatoes soaked in a nice extra virgin olive oil

6. Stephanie says:

I like rice with lettuce. But no dried pasta at all? Even good pasta? In Italy and other places, like Thailand for example (Don found a great pizza guy there) you can get Pizza with a salad on it, or with thinly sliced roasted potatoes. So whose to say what’s weird?

7. I love combining odd textures in food. Being normal and ordinary is boring. I love how writers are breaking the mold and doing things differently. God bless the freedom of Indie publishing. ;-)

I think the best thing about small independent presses and self-pubbing is that authors can finally break free of the generic restraints imposed by the “Big” NY publishing companies, and create stories that are outside of the box. Maybe they won’t be the next big YA vampire extravaganza, but at least we have the option to write something different, something unique, something quirky.

As to hot sauce on lettuce….lots of Thai dishes serve hot meals on a bed of crispy greens. I love that.

Happy Friday!

9. You’re right on both counts, Penny. Maybe that’s why I’m obsessed with Thai food! And yes, writing outside the box is something to strive for.

10. I agree, Amberr – God bless freedom of the press of which Indie publishing is an off-shoot! I do love divergent textures in food.

11. Nah, Steph, I am not a dried pasta eater. I love homemade pasta. Had great pizza in Rome – with zucchini. Yum!

12. Oh, Tom, that sounds great! Post your bolognese recipe. I’d love to give it a try.

13. Okay, Amber – too funny!

Mmm, now I want some of MY favorite pizza. Bechamel sauce, white asparagus, artichoke hearts, baked then sprinkled with fresh tomatoes. I learned to love it when we lived in Bavaria and during spargel season, white asparagus turned up in every dish imaginable.

15. Jaye, what’s spargel season? That pizza sounds divine!

It is divine. It is bliss. Spargel is specially grown asparagus. They pile on mulch, so the sun doesn’t get to it and the stalks never produce chlorophyll. They come out fat, white and far sweeter than green asparagus. The season is short. It’s only used fresh. When the spargel is gone, you have to wait until next year to get more. Spargel soup is also heavenly, as is grilled spargel and raw spargel marinated in oil and herbs.

Spargel pizza is my favorite dish.

17. Oh god, Jaye, you’re kilin’ me!

To each his own, I say. Enjoy and be blessed. As for Indie pubbing. I’m still trying to figure out how that works…

19. I like Indie publishing, Anny. Works well for me. Works even better for writers who upload an entire series.

I’m so grateful to Indie presses because there are so many stories I would have missed out on, including your wonderful Incorporeal. All this talk of food is making my stomach rumble!!

21. Ciara Knight says:

I’m suddenly craving Italian food. :)

22. I agree, Casey. There’s some not so good stuff out there, but there are some great new authors.