Why I’ve closed my Google+ account.

I’ll keep this post brief.  I don’t use the account much anyway, but an author did ask to connect with me on Google+ and we chatted about her science fiction series.  I complimented her covers and her cover artist.  In fact, I was extremely complimentary.  The covers are excellent.

I asked the author if she’d designed them or if the designs were made entirely by the cover artist.

She replied that she’d made some initial suggestions, and then jested that the bare skin and high heels weren’t her idea.  I replied, also in jest, well, he’s a guy (the artist).

Big fucking deal.

The next thing I know, I get this message from a man I’ve never heard of, who is not on any of my approved lists, accusing me of sexism because of that tongue in cheek statement.  My statement wasn’t directed at him.  It was made within the context of a lighthearted conversation between two authors.

Here’s a portion of his comment:  “There is a trend of male artists to portray women in most genres of literature and gaming in a hyper-sexualized way, particularly in fantasy and science fiction, but I don’t appreciate your generalization. I understand where it comes from and I sympathize with your frustration at the situation but making statements like that about one of the sexes is not a helpful step towards a world without sexism.”

Joke, dude! Joke! And, a private joke. Mind your own bidness! (Thanks, Penny)

And I’d like to know how the hell he hacked into my Google+ account.  So the account is now closed.

Oh, and I nearly passed out yesterday when I tried to view my Amazon sales and the page said – Your Bookshelf is empty. OMFG. I freaked. The problem was simple, as was the solution. I hadn’t signed into my Amazon account. I was signed into my KDP Select account, but not my Amazon account. Just about did me in before I realized what the issue might be. Signed into my regular Amazon account and voila… all better.

My husband says I should never post about sleepless nights because those posts are boring. I replied, when you’ve had as little sleep as I’ve had lately it’s hard to think about anything else.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Why I’ve closed my Google+ account.

The guy needs to lighten up…and like you said, mind his own business.

2. Stephanie says:

Google+ account – the message was probably visible thru the other author’s circles. Or, he searches daily for his name or the other author. If you don’t specify closed then I believe it is public. But I am not sure what G+ is for. FB already exists.

What is KDP select???

On more than one occasion, I’ve had folks respond to a sarcastic comment I’ve made (or post) with complete and utter seriousness. I guess I need to start putting a disclaimer at the top of my posts/comments. (That guy needs a martini, stat!)

However, I do think it’s a good idea to streamline our social media outlets. How many do we freakin’ need? Having a blog, tweeting a bit, maybe checking out FB/Goodreads for 10-15 min/day, and that’s enough. Add on Google+ and now tumblr and pinterest, etc etc, and there is no way you’ll have enough time left over to write, let alone get your damned laundry done. (“Mom, I don’t have any clean pants!!!!!!”)

How is Hacky McFurball doing this morning? I hope you got some sleep! :)

Who needs to hear emotional, out of context comments from strangers who weren’t even invited into the conversation? I don’t blame you for canceling G+

I’m with Penny on this one. How much do we need?

I haven’t bothered with Google +. I’m already signed up for enough social media stuff. Good for you. Enough is enough.

7. Hi Casey. Smart. I actually didn’t sign up for this. Someone signed me up a while ago and I’ve pretty much ignored the account.

8. I know, Kat. Weird, stalkerish and irritating.

9. Oh my dear darling Penny. Mr. Hacky McFurball kept me up all night long. Two hours of sleep – from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. That’s it. Soft touch hubby now must become hard-hearted hubby and put the OCD cat out at night.
    Yeah, social media’s a two-faced beeeeeyotch!

10. I didn’t mention his name, Steph. He’s not the artist in question. Must be associated with the other author. KDP Select – Amazon’s new program for authors.

11. I have Google+ but barely use it..

Wow some people can’t take a joke…I’m so sorry that you had to deal with this..

12. Hey, Savannah, you’ve had to deal with much worse lately. Hope that situation is sorted out.

13. Talk about over reaction! Maybe it’s been a while between.. ahem… drinks ;-)

Of course, I’ll probably get slammed by him for that comment too – if he knew I’d made it anyway!

Probably in someone else’s circle that coincides with yours. Not exactly sure how those circles work. I like the idea of being able to organize groups…

15. Oh Ciara, better watch yourself! The incident was creepy!

What is it with sleepless nights. I’m having a few of them at them moment. Anyway never mind and as for the ass-hole who stuck his nose in… Had a similar one on twitter recently where me and an author chappie were having a bit of banter and someone who followed him joined the conversation and then took complete umbrage at one of my comments, sheesh you weren’t invited to join the party in the first place, but if you do, check out the previous comments before committing yourself to confirming you are an ASS!

Have managed to avoid Google +, will continue to do so…..

17. Isn’t that annoying, Tom? Makes me want to head-slap someone.