Perception is Everything.

My question – Can a dynamite cover, a beautiful, visually stimulating cover, an intriguing mysterious cover influence your opinion of the story behind the cover?

I think the answer is yes.

I’m perusing some amazing artwork for my science fiction series, i.e., space opera, Daughters of Persephone.

A great cover calls to the reader. I’ve bought books based upon the cover alone. Why? Because I figure if someone cares enough to design a fantastic cover, someone cares about the story inside.

Do you have a favorite cover?

This entry was posted in book bloggers, Books, popular culture, science fiction, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Perception is Everything.

I can’t think of one off the top of my head this early, but the cover definitely influences me when buying a book!
    I’ve been searching lots of cover art for a few of my older books too. There’s so much out there.

I love Annette Blair’s witch covers….some are cartoony and some have a vintage, sexy feel to them…very appealing….

I also love the covers on Archer Mayor’s mysteries…very graphic, cartoonish feeling block-print style. Love them!

Honestly, I think most covers suck. I’m very picky. And putting some non-descript woman on the cover in a flowing dress is boring.

I can’t wait to see what you picked!

I have one book that I hate the cover. Did so from the beginning… That book (in the middle of a series) has undersold all of my other books–regardless of publisher–by two to one. I had no control over the cover. Recently, someone on Amazon left a bad review for that book, based solely on the cover (and said they would never buy a book with that bad a cover.)

So yeah. Covers count.

Without doubt a bad cover will taint sales. I know my own hand has skipped past books on the store shelf that had too awful of a cover to even pick up. I’ve also fallen for beautiful covers thinking the book had more merit than it actually did.
    A cover is a powerful selling tool.

5. Kayla Graham says:

I do think that covers have a lot to do with whether the reader will pick the book up. I don’t have a “favorite cover” but here are some book covers I really like. Wither by Lauren DeStefano, Captured by you ;), Deadly Obsession by Kristine Cayne, Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood, Fracture by Megan Miranda, Slide by Jill Hatheway. I love covers, and I mostly read the blurb before I buy a book but if the cover is really pretty I will buy it just to see what it’s about. I guess you can say it pique’s my interest. I think certain covers attract certain people, and you should sort of be able to tell what the book is related to by looking at the cover.

6. Aaron Pound says:

I love the covers for my editions of Nova and Dhalgren. I think they are by the same artist and I’ve seen a lot of other artwork in the same style. I need to go and look up who that is.

Aaron (Dreaming About Other Worlds).

7. Hey, Aaron, if you find out who the artist is, let me know.

8. I love covers too, Kayla and you’ve featured some amazing covers on your site lately. I love the covers for Fracture and Born Wicked – really outstanding. You can’t always tell a story by the cover, but sometimes a cover just grabs you.

9. I agree, Kat. Covers really make an impression on readers – sometimes we don’t realize how much. And yes, I’ve fallen for covers, bought the book, and been disappointed.

10. Oh Anny, doesn’t that just burn you? When somebody treats your book that way? But you’re right, a bad cover can ruin a good book.

11. Penny – that Open Season cover is very retro. Can’t think of the artistic style off the top of my head… like from the 20′s. And I know you like cartoonish covers. I’m very picky about cartoonish covers. They better be good, not just silly.

12. Amber, it’s hard to find the right cover, but it’s also pretty cool to be in control.

I’ve bought plenty of books based on covers. At the very least picked them up because I like the artwork – this is especially true of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books. I can’t wait to see your new cover!

14. Oh I agree, Casey. Sometimes a cover alone will sell me on a sci fi book.

15. charlie says:

Not sure how much a really good cover does, but a bad cover can really put me off a book. Bad quality on the outside make me think I will get bad quality on the inside.

When I was a teen reading SciFi, I always looked for books with women on the cover (and not in metal bikinis). I wanted to read a book with female protagonists and that was the fastest way to find them.

16. I did too, Charlie. I like my heroines tough and resolute. And I agree, a bad cover is so off-putting.

I agree. Unless you’re a household name, you need the cover.

18. Sandra – covers are the second all…