Eating My Yard.

Last night I made a chicken sausage mustard pasta with chicken sausage removed from the casing, garlic, shallots, ball squash, eggplant, chilies, a variety of sauteed greens, chicken stock, whole grain mustard, and Parmesan cheese.  Aside from the garlic and shallot, the vegetables came from my garden.

This is one of the best things about living in California – growing plants.

Front yard edibles:

mustard greens

turnip greens

green beans

squash blossoms

It’s just plain fun.

Here’s my recipe:

I roast and peel the eggplant (2 Japanese eggplants) in advance, chop and set aside.  In 2 tablespoons olive oil saute 6-8 cloves garlic, 1 large shallot, 1-2 chilies of your choice (seeds and ribs removed) with salt and pepper to taste and a teaspoon or so of sugar.  Once this begins to caramelize add chopped squash (2 ball squashes) and saute until soft.  Add eggplant.  Cook briefly.  Remove from pan.

Add a little more oil.  Remove the casing from 6 chicken sausages.  I used a mix of sweet pepper, habanero and Italian sausages.  Cook thoroughly, chop up while cooking.  If the sausage sticks add a little chicken broth.  When completely cooked remove from pan and add to vegetables.

Chop the equivalent of a big bag of bitter greens.  Add a little more oil in the pan and saute with salt and pepper to taste.  When the greens are entirely wilted, add back in remaining vegetables and cooked sausages.  Add two cups of chicken stock and 1/4 – 1/2 cup of whole grain mustard.

Cook 1 package of pasta- whatever you prefer.  I like rotelle or some twirly pasta.  When pasta is done, add directly to sausage mix.  Adjust seasonings, adding more chicken broth, mustard, or pasta water if needed.  Sauce should be light and tangy yet a little creamy without using any cream.

Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over each serving.

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Eating My Yard.

Wow that’s a huge garden. Thanks for the recipe. :)

2. Nice, Julia. I can see all that. You certainly grow more variety than I do. With the heat, I’ve given up on the lettuce (except for garnish). Cheaper and better to just buy it. But tomatoes – you have ripe ones already? I’ve got bunches, but except for a handfull, all green. In another week I’m going to be bursting on cabbages, and had my first peppers last night.

Yum!

Your garden is awesome!! My mom gardens and every summer she shares with me. I love having fresh tomatoes and pepper all summer. Yum!

I’m drooling. Yum yum!

(Only thing edible in my yard is squirrels. Lots and lots of squirrels.)

5. LOL on the squirrels, Jaye.

6. What do you do with the quince? Do you make jam?? It all looks amazing. Even Don is impressed.

7. Diana Stevan says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’m impressed with your garden. You put mine to shame. I just have the grandkids’ old sandbox for a garden. A few tomatoes and herbs. My mother had an enormous one.

Bugger, with one post you’ve put me to shame

hate you

of course you know I don’t Oh to have the space

recipe sounds marvellous

Lovely garden…

11. Wow, I’m impressed. Our garden is doing well, but with a long cool spring, it’s late. We haven’t gotten anything yet. I’m waiting impatiently.
    The pasta sounds yummy.

What a beautiful garden, you make everything you do so lovely.
    I would be like a rabbit eating everything in your garden, it sounds delicious!

13. Thanks, Kat. This is why it’s elevated, because of critters like you!

14. Hi Stephanie. It’s been slow here too, a little late. Just now able to harvest much aside from cool weather veggies.

15. Tom– LOL! Yes, I wrote this post for you. We manage to grow a lot in relatively small spaces.

16. Diana, when we bought the house that area was just a patch of dirt and weeds. We used the entire area as a garden for a while but I realized we’d be better off with raised beds – and yes – it’s great!

17. Hi Steph, jam for sure. It makes very tart jam. I keep the herbs in wine barrels so the snails can’t eat them all.

18. Well, Jaye, Jake keeps the squirrels out of the yard, tho they do sneak in from time to time. They don’t do much anyway except plant acorns. We have to watch for skunks and raccoons. The blue jays plant acorns too. It’s interesting.

19. Oh Casey – I love fresh veggies. My husband especially likes fresh tomatoes.

20. I don’t think it’s been as hot here, Sharon. When the radishes and turnips are done I think I’ll put in some spinach and arugula. Cabbages – how fun! I grew them once. No ripe tomatoes yet – too cold, but the chilies are coming along nicely.

21. You’re welcome, Amber, and thanks!

22. Ok wow, I want to see your gardens..Oh and the food sounds yummy..Now you got me all hungry…

23. Savannah – LOL! I’m not a big fan of sausages but I do like spicy chicken sausages with mustard!

24. sandra cox says:

Wow. You’re really self sufficient. Minus the meat, the recipe sounds yummy.