Why I shouldn’t watch the news.

Because I experience an immediate visceral response to video.  I cried all day over the massacre in Colorado.  Interviews with the victims and their families… So tragic.  Makes you want to hold your children, your spouse, your parents close.

I’ve learned this from my husband – sports is a happy place most of the time.  The weather may not be necessarily be happy, but it’s neutral in the sense that it’s not something we do to each other.  Weather is weather and it is what it is.

I was quite the worry-wart as a child.  Of course I come by this trait naturally.  First, I’m Jewish.  Second, my father didn’t shelter us from any piece of bad news– past, present or possible future.  He felt we should be prepared for jack-boots on the stairs in the dark of night.

Which is why, I suppose, I anticipate a looming apocalypse, zombie or otherwise, while hubby, who lived a sheltered childhood, skips blithely along worrying only about… Hmmm, he doesn’t really worry about much of anything.

My husband says I mention him way too much, but he’s an interesting person and always upbeat.

Oh… just finished Casey Wyatt’s new book – The Undead Space Initiative.  You all know I’m not a reviewer, but I’ve been waiting for this book for over a year – when it was still a work in progress. Well, it’s out and it’s damn good.  Here you go:

The Undead Space Initiative

Cherry Cordial, vampire stripper extraordinaire, spectacularly messes up her life with a single act of kindness. How could she have known when she rescued gorgeous rogue Ian McDevitt that she would be implicated in the vampire queen’s murder? Soon, she faces the wrath of the entire vampire community. To escape retribution, she joins a settlement program to colonize Mars. Her choices are grim: hurtle through space to the red planet to face the unknown and possible death, or stay on Earth and face certain annihilation. To make things even more complicated, a certain gorgeous rogue seems to be shadowing her every move…

This entry was posted in book reviews, Books, erotica, nature, popular culture, romance, science fiction, sports, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Why I shouldn’t watch the news.

1. Tim Dittmer says:

Have a tough time with news like that myself. I go from shock to anger, then back to shock. I end up wondering what it is in a society that produces people like that. So many questions, with too few real answers. Finally, I shift the weight up higher on my shoulders, lean into it, and push on.

2. Hi Tom. I know. I don’t think there really are answers. If someone invents a word for the opposite of a miracle, it will apply.

I’ve cried watching the interviews. I wasn’t sheltered as a child either so I worry too much.

I’m a major worrier too. I’ve tried to dial it back. When I hit forty, I developed more of an F-it attitude, but you know, once a worrier, always a worrier. I was upset about the tragedy in Colorado to the point I had to turn the news off. Just terrible!

And thank you so much for the shout out on my new book! I am thrilled you enjoyed it. :)

Thank you for reminding me about Casey’s new book….gonna go get it now!

Have a perky day! ;)

6. Lorca Damon says:

I am a complete head in the sand idiot when it comes to the news. I try not to watch it, but instead get my headline feed from the internet. If there’s something important, like the fact that I had surprised my husband with a ticket to the midnight showing of the new Batman for our anniversary, I click on it! The worst for me, though, is political news. I know who I’m voting for, so I avoid politics like a dirty hypodermic. I don’t want to watch the muckracking and spewing from the people who are (God forbid) in charge of my country.

7. Ciara Knight says:

It was such an unexpected tragedy. It makes us all feel a little less in control. It’s normal to worry as long as you don’t let it dictate your life.

8. Kesha Brown says:

I never watch the news either…for one, it’s so depressing; and two, I think it’s all part of a bigger control agenda and I don’t want any parts of it! ;-)

By the way, though I didn’t hear about the shooting on the news, of course other people told me and I had tears in my eyes…

I hate to even hear about stuff like that. I also don’t hang around people who live by the news or who are always sharing bad news they hear!

~Kesha
    @uncommonchick

9. I’m a worrier too so I tend to ignore the news. It’s on 24/7 these days and they have to fill the hours with tragedy to keep people watching.

10. Diana Stevan says:

Julia, I’ve been the same way. I’m Canadian and this tragedy has hit me very hard. It’s close to home, and we share the same continent, similar values, media, etc. I feel we’re all in this together, and there has to be a way to bring sanity back to the equation. There’s a lot of power in the community. We can bury our heads in the sand, or listen to people like Michael Moore, Bill Moyers, who are raising some very important issues. And yes, I temper my news. I watch BBC, which isn’t so sensational. And of course, The Daily Show with John Stewart. I need those laughs. Glad you have a husband who can balance you out, I have a wonderful one who does that for me as well.

11. I’ve come to a point where I stopped watching news because it is always just depressing and it is hard not to be impacted. I still get my news off the net because you can’t avoid it. This whole tragedy struck everyone hard. Truly so sad.

12. I know, Savannah. I really try hard not to watch.

13. Actually Diana if I want news I prefer The Daily Show. I know it’s not real news, but at the same time it is. And at least I can laugh. Yes, I’m grateful for my husband as well! :)

14. Stephanie, other than my father I think women tend to worry a little more than men. This is why I love going to the ranch in Montana – it’s all about the weather.

15. Kesha, thanks for coming by! I do agree most news agencies have agendas. I prefer to read my news or ignore it. I don’t like all the drama. I have to say I wonder if the fact that we know everything happening everywhere is good for us.

16. Yes, Ciara. I don’t let worry control me, but this event brings back memories of similar tragedies.

17. It’s good to keep your head in the sand, Lorca. And politics? Can you say dirty word? I hate politics.

18. Hey Pen, it’s really good. Very different.

19. You’re welcome Casey and I know what you mean. You always worry about your kids, but I don’t waste too much time obsessing about the future.

20. You and me, Amber. Tough, huh. This is why we can’t be afraid to love.

I watch international news shows because at least they remind me it’s not all about the USA. Mostly, I check the local headlines on the ‘net. Done. If something interests me I research it on my own.

22. My son listens to the BBC, Anny. And yes, I do tend to read my news as well.

23. yoshi says:

I once attended a lecture by a well known author and researcher in the field of near death experiences. He described a sociopath who had one of those experiences and how it changed his life. When questioned the individual said that he still lacked a conscience but during his experience he felt the pain he had caused and that led him to act more responsibly. Mass murderers like the shooter in Colorado must isolate their acts from the consequences, that is the only way they could possibly do what they do. On a related note, gun sales in Denver are up 40% since the shootings. Apparently this is a typical community response to mass shootings- “I better start packing just in case”. Not very reassuring.

24. I feel like I know him.

In re the news. It was sad and horrible. I don’t need or feel that the grief of others who have had friends or relatives killed in terrible acts of violence is any of my business. I think it sensationalizes these events making it much more likely that a copycat will come along as it ALMOST did in Maine this week. Every life lost is a waste and awful and each person killed senselessly was important to someone. It is tragic. But then every woman killed by her husband, every one killed because of robbery or drugs is a tragedy. The only untragic death is that when we are old and grey. Those people don’t need strangers to see their lives falling apart, their grief.

I also don’t understand why people think the film had anything to do with it, should make a contribution or the stars visit victims. Nice gesture but it’s not their fault.

I feel like I know your husband. Maybe he is a character you invented? S

25. I haven’t heard much about finger-pointing at the film, Steph, but I do think it’s incredible that the producers and the studio are helping with medical bills. Yes, random acts of violence are reprehensible where and whenever they occur.
    My husband? It’s because I use him as my hero in every book!

26. Interesting, Yoshi. You’re right, they must not be able to think of the consequences of their acts, or they somehow force themselves not to.
    I did read that gun sales had skyrocketed.

27. And then there are sequels to news stories that make me glad I watched.
    After all the death, dying and loss in nearby Aurora, my energy scraped along, dragging somewhere behind me. Even Christian Bale’s visit (minus the costume) was nice but not especially uplifting.
    Tonight, quite by accident, I saw on the national news the grand welcome of Hugo, the baby born to mama and daddy who’d been at the Aurora movie theater. Daddy was shot through the eye, is in a coma, and on all kinds of machines. When infant son Hugo was placed beside him, his heart rate soared!
    Sometimes television shares very, very good news.

28. Yes, I saw that story Marylin. In the midst of so much tragedy… a new life.

I don’t know whether I am getting old and maudlin but years ago I would watch these news stories unfold and just shrug my shoulders probably because of my very tough upbringing in Scotland where men don’t show emotion and then of course time in the Army when I cradled a dying lad in my arms and where I was shot, stabbed, almost buried alive/ drowned… anyway you get my drift

But as I listened to this I was so overwhelmed by sadness and then a few days later driving home I heard the reports of a murder trail here in the UK where a 21 year old youth walked up to a group of Indian Post Grad students, singled one out (someone he had never met or knew) and shot him in the head before calmly walking off and I started to cry

What the hell is going on on this planet of ours… We are after all supposed to be the intelligent species

30. Oh Tom, I don’t know what to day. This sort of action is the hardest to comprehend. But then evil is always hard to comprehend. It exists. I don’t know why.

31. Nina Pierce says:

The whole Colorado thing is beyond tragic. Made even worse by the media’s need to keep hammering us with the tragedy. Sometimes you gotta shut off the radio and television. But my heart breaks for the randomness of it all.

32. Yes, true, Nina. I definitely shut off the news.