Gia Carangi – most of this post has been removed due to copyright infringement.

***Because this post was reprinted by another blogger as her own, I have removed the bulk of the post.  I had intended to keep this matter private until the blogger in question wrote a blog insulting me with a direct link to my site.  I felt an explanation of what actually happened was necessary.  Julia

An abbreviated version of the original post from May 23, 2012:

Thing of Beauty, The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia, by Stephen Fried– it’s a good book.  Gia’s story is beautiful, heroic and ultimately, unfortunately, as the title says… tragic.

I don’t watch many commercials – except during the Superbowl, and I rarely look at print adds, but I am fascinated by fashion photography.

The legacy and influence of Gia Carangi, IMO the greatest model in the history of supermodels, survives and thrives.

Gia’s legacy is alive and well.

***

Here’s what happened:

Copyright Infringement

We all have ‘em.  I’ve read posts about entire books stolen, bruhahas over stolen blog posts.  Well, I got one.

I found a post of mine on a big site – credit given to another blogger.  The post was lifted directly from this site.  My posts are copyrighted the moment I put pen to proverbial paper.

I contacted the Copyright Office at the larger site and then contacted the blogger who lifted my post.

The blogger and I exchanged a series of unpleasant emails – the content of which I originally posted here,  but for the sake of decreasing any drama, I’ve archived them.

The larger site took my letter seriously, read my original post, and removed her post and the link to her website post (i.e. my post) within 10 minutes of receiving my letter.

(In any case, no, I do not write for Vogue – this post was an original post and it originated here.  I am the author and owner of every single post on this site, except for stated guest posts.  This particular post or article never appeared in Vogue Magazine or any other magazine.)

I’m going to quote my friend, artist and writer Mat Nastos, and refer you to his post: Please Don’t Steal My Work.

Apparently I must now state this clearly…

This post is the property of the author Julia Rachel Barrett.  It may not be reprinted without permission from the author or attribution to the author.

This entry was posted in book bloggers, Books, popular culture, Slightly Off Topic, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Gia Carangi – most of this post has been removed due to copyright infringement.

Cindy’s daughter is very beautiful.

Can’t say I pay much heed to models, super or otherwise. But ten years old? Holy cow, why would anyone do that to a little girl?

Gia was so beautiful. I believe the first time I noticed Angelina Jolie was when she played Gia in an HBO movie? Tragic end. I’m encouraged that Vogue has supposedly raised the age minimum to 16 for models and banned the dangerously emaciated girls. Let’s hope they can do a little than that in the future and start adding woman to woman’s magazines.
    Helmut Newton is such an amazing talent. I’ll never forget the first time I saw a coffee table book of his photography and just gasped in awe.

She had a tragic story, like many super-models. I def. like dark-haired models better than blondes.

5. I’ve always been partial to dark-haired models, Penny. Gia’s story was unusual. She was a pioneer.

6. I actually watched the Angelina Jolie biopic after I read the book, Kat. I knew about Gia. She may be the only super model I’ve ever paid attention to. Weird, huh? Yes, I’m hoping Vogue and other fashion magazines/houses actually mean what they say. I don’t trust them when it comes to follow through.
    Unlike today’s models, Gia was not emaciated. She wore a size 6, and if you recall from The Devil Wears Prada – “Six is the new fourteen…”
    Helmut Newton is genius!

7. Hey, Jaye – I agree – I was appalled when I realized Cindy Crawford’s daughter was 10 yet made up to look like an adult.

8. Her daughter is definitely beautiful, Amber, but very young!

9. I’ve got this book in my library as well. It is a rare find so keep it..Copies not can range up to 100 dollars. If you ever get the chance watch the movie Gia with Angelina Jolie. It will make you cry.

10. Yes, it’s a great book, Savannah. I’ve seen the movie. I loved Angelina’s ferocity and fearlessness.

11. That’s ridiculous, you shouldn’t have to post any such thing. Copyright isn’t implied – it’s the basic premise of copyright that whoever created it, owns it. There are a few exceptions (employees who create things in the course of their business) but otherwise, if you created it, you own it, and nobody else can use it unless they are licensed to use it (i.e. have permission of some sort). It doesn’t matter if you said you owned the copyright or not – the person who reposted KNEW that SHE didn’t own it, and therefore KNEW she was infringing copyright by reposting it.

12. Thank you, Ciara. My thoughts as well.

*EYE ROLL* As someone who had another person steal EVERY SINGLE POST AND IMAGE FROM MY BLOG AND USE IT IN HER “NEW, ORIGINAL” BLOG (ahem), I will say to you…..

…..these things happen. You dealt with it perfectly. I honestly think that some folks do not really understand what plagiarism is. And others do, and just don’t care.

Oy.

I don’t know if anyone has ever stolen my blog posts (can’t imagine why they would), but there are three circumstances that apply and what I would do in each case.

One, the blog post is shared on another non-commercial site, with attribution, and a link back to the source. In which case I am flattered and honored and I thank the poster who did so. That, to me, is really what the blogosphere is all about–sharing and disseminating information.

Two, my work is plagiarized and the thief calls my words his/her words. In that case, I will raise a stink. Because this IS thievery and even if the thief’s blog is non-commercial, it’s still plagiarism. Plagiarists should be outed and publicly named and shamed. Only through public awareness will plagiarists realize they CANNOT DO THIS–it is totally uncool. I would take a screen shot of the offending post, make sure all MY regular readers know who the culprit is and warn them to keep an eye on that person and encourage them to spread the word. At no time would I concern myself with the feelings or sensibilities or privacy of the plagiarist.

Three, my work is used or plagiarized on a commercial site. I’d send a bill. A buck a word, $500 minimum, payment due upon receipt–even if the site removes the post. Take a screen shot. They used it, they can pay for it. I might post my blog for free–but if anyone is going to make a dollar off it, it will be me and no other. And I am enough of a stinker to write blog posts that name names and I would continue sending invoices and demands for payment.

Julia, send an invoice to the offending blog site. It is a commercial site and they made money off your words–YOUR money. Keep nagging, keep naming names. This is now a de facto business deal and if the site doesn’t pay, they’re chiselers and it’s a public service to all for you to keep your audience apprised with details.

Go Jaye! Go Jaye! Go Jaye!

(I’m picturing Jaye in Ripley’s kicky-ass alien-fighting outfit in Aliens 2). Don’t mess with her!!!!!!

She will crush plagiarizers like small bugs! Yeeee hawwww!

16. Lorca Damon says:

That’s the one downside to the rise in social media and the platforms that give all authors a voice…the drama! I’ve had more drama come into my life as a writer than during the years when I (get this) coached public school cheerleading! I would NEVER have thought I would have more anonymous stress than during that time, but the difference there was no Facebook, Twitter, blogging, etc. back then. Now that we live in the age of instant access, people feel entitled to do or say anything they want because they know they are hidden behind a computer screen. I’m sorry you’ve had a battle with this person over staking a claim to your own thoughts and words. Tragic.

17. Thanks, Lorca. I’ve had episodes of intense drama in my life – hate it. Yes, people feel entitled and when caught, instead of saying, oops, sorry, my bad, they go on the attack. Happens. Unfortunate.

18. Jaye would, Penny. I know you’ve been through this. It is a battle.

19. If this person wasn’t so intense, Jaye, I would have. Happens again, yes, I will name names.

20. Thanks, Ciara – you are a sweetie! Appreciate the advice.

21. Charlee says:

What an awful thing to have to deal with. Glad you stood up for yourself! Well done, you!

22. Is there anything people will not take?

23. Charlee and Savannah – thank you!

JesusBejus That’s why when people send me stuff and I use it and I know that it didn’t originate from them I always put thanks to author unknown. If the originator of what I put out then see’s it and contacts me and asks me to remove it fine or to leave it but credit them also, no problem.

I’m with Jaye give em hell and send them an invoice and Name and Shame I’m also with Penny and every time I think of the Obbsessanator I will now visualise her as Ripley LoL

25. Tom – If I quote from another site I always give credit to the author. Or, as I did on one occasion where I reprinted a recipe, I asked the author’s permission first and she happily gave it – I gave her credit and a link back to her site.