What it all boils down to…

is the people you love.  And maybe the people who love you.

I have kind of a funny view of life.  I sort of subscribe to the “I am the dreamer dreaming the dream” or “I am the dream of the dreamer dreaming the dream” philosophy.

I believe in living life to its fullest, cherishing life and those people I love.  I believe in living life as though it is the ultimate reality even though I’m aware it’s not.

The thing is this – you make the journey to heaven, or enlightenment, if you prefer, and then you came back and live your life.  You raise your kids, you argue with your husband, you shop for groceries, you laugh at The Big Bang Theory, you shiver at The Terminator, you have a little sex, you walk your dog.

Enlightenment is not over there somewhere.  There is no use seeking Nirvana or heaven because in the seeking heaven (enlightenment) will elude you.  It is in us, it surrounds us every single moment of every single day.

I believe in God and I believe without question one should treat others as one wishes to be treated.  In other words, as Rabbi Hillel said several generations before Jesus – What is abhorrent to you do not do to others.

Here’s how I see it… God is immutable.  He can’t change and grow and learn except through us.  We are God experiencing Himself.  It’s pretty cool when you think about it.  Remember that old ad~ Let your fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages?  That’s us.  We are God putting on a glove (skin) and walking through life.

Life is the good, the bad and the ugly.  It’s why I choose to be good.  I don’t demand perfection, but I don’t want to live with the ramifications of bad and ugly because I’ve seen them with my own eyes.  And yeah, hell is what you make of it.

I died at the age of sixteen in an accident.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll tell you about it.  And then I’ll get back to discussing inanities, because seriously you have to have a sense of humor about all this shit.

P.S.  God loves baseball.  I swear He does.

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to What it all boils down to…

Of course he does. And life would be better if we all lived “do no harm.”

2. It’s interesting how your post–and mine about Nancy Saltzman’s book–are two sides of the same coin. I think there are times (and certainly autumn is one of them for me) when we’re more likely to pause, listen carefully, and learn about how things fit together. I love the “fingers do the walking” analogy.
    I can’t wait to hear about how you died at 16!

3. I know, Marylin, it is so interesting. Same wavelength I guess. I don’t know if I’ll get into the dying part. Hmmmmm. Maybe.

4. Delilah Hunt says:

I believe 100% in God too, and that one should treat others as they wish to be treated. I wish more parents would take the time to instil this lesson in children, especially at an early age. It would just make life so much easier.

He certainly does love baseball. ;) It’s people like you and your attitude about life that makes this world a better place.

I still have issues with God but one little story I tell occasionally is that with all the ‘little’ accidents I have had in life is that I should have been dead many times over and the only reason I am not is that ‘ God doesn’t want me up there, to argumentative and too much a pain in the ass’ so he keeps me down here making everyone else’s lives miserable, as a penance to them….

But I still have issues in belief but if there is one I am sure having met you personally I know, like him, that you deserve to have your dad around for a while longer …..

7. before enlightenment drink tea
    after enlightenment drink tea

I believe in God. But I don’t believe in church.

(I belong to the Church of the Sunday Paper. It’s quite popular).

I am glad you are here and alive. You make the world a better place. And you make my life a better place.

9. Diana Stevan says:

Love this post. Maybe because you are echoing my thoughts so well. God is everywhere, in us, in others. I see Him in a plant that springs up in the garden unexpectedly. And yes, life is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Beautiful post Julia!
    I like the line, “You can be it, but you can’t know it.” God knows everything, got bored, and now keeps a few secrets from God just for a fun surprise.

11. Love it, Kat. God does like surprises. How boring eternity would be without us!

12. Thanks, Diana. Yes, everywhere.

13. Hi Penny! I don’t belong to a synagogue. Bad me! I do like to go the Catholic Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. And thank you. I feel the same about you.

14. Yes, Steph. That’s it exactly.

15. Hey Tom, you can have all the issues you want, and feel free to hold him responsible for bad stuff. I mean, you have to admit if He’s all powerful He could stop bad stuff if he really really wanted to. ;)

16. Hmmm, God is pissed off Tom. He keeps messing with my comment page.

17. Yes, Amber. God loves baseball! And thanks – back at ya!

18. Hi Delilah. It is an important lesson – the most important lesson children can learn and so many parents seem to think kindness and compassion happens as if by magic. Children learn by example.

How did you become so wise, Ms. Julia.