My self-publishing journey

can be summed up with one simple rhetorical question:

What the ‘eff‘ else was I supposed to do?

reading

If you wanna read me that is.

Now hold on just a sec… Ask me the obvious question.

Did you do your homework?

1.  Yes.  I spent four years subbing to the appropriate lit agents and publishers and followed all guidelines to the letter.

2.  I spent three years entering, and winning/placing, contests.

3.  I spent a year making pitches.

4.  I spent four years attending conferences.

5.  I joined the right organizations for genre writers like me.

I suppose I could say the time was wasted.  As Captain Hiller (Will Smith) says in Independence Day, “I coulda been at a barbecue!” But I won’t say that.  Learning is never a waste of time.  Possibly the money was wasted.

Albert Einstein on the definition of insanity~  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Guess I’m cured of that particular insanity.  Life is plenty good as a self-pubber.

In the meantime I’m making cases and cases of lemon curd.  I’ve only juiced one bushel of lemons and one bushel of sour oranges.  I thought I had five bushels altogether.  Realized I have seven.

Holy smokes!

I feel like Diane Keaton in Babyboom making applesauce!  With the change in California’s cottage industry/food service laws, I can actually sell the lemon curd.  Which is a good thing because with all this curd-making my writing time is suffering!

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to My self-publishing journey

1. Oh, I do like this post. Got it in 5.

2. Toby Neal says:

Had the interesting occasion to pitch my books direct to editors this weekend. Over 200,000 in downloads and WROTE A BOOK on author platform…only to be told “submit through your agent.”
    “Okay, I have an agent. Richard Parks.”
    “Oh. Well. Thanks anyway but I’m not liking your premise.”
    Yeah. Okay. I’ll just keep laughing my way to the bank, thank you.
    Don’t ask why I even tried. That’s my own blog post.
    Toby Neal

It’s funny because now I pay for conferences just to go hang out with other writers. :) Sure some of the workshops are helpful and I don’t pitch anymore. Yup…I’m there for the party!

There are workshops at conference?

The great thing about publishing now is that there are so many paths to take. I think it’s wonderful. Some folks are embracing this and appreciating the options, and some folks are kicking and screaming and desperately trying to hold onto the “old ways” and never let go.

We’re in the midst of a publishing revolution. Yeeeee hawwwwww!

6. Can you ship it; sell it out of state?
    And, CA made something EASIER?????
    Steph

This is a very ironic post, when life hands you lemons, make lemon curd?
    Your writing is so vivid. You’ve not wasted your time. You’re so unique. The world is asking for plain old lemonade and you offered them lemon curd.
    You have to approach the lemon curd market-you’re a gourmet item and you’re filthy rich in quality lemons. Lucky you.

8. Yes, Kat. When all else fails, I make lemon curd! I am flush with lemon curd! Thanks, sweetie. These lemons are pretty amazing.

9. Hard to believe, isn’t it Steph, that CA made something EASIER!!! And yes I can!

10. Gotta love it, Penny! And yes, why there are drunken orgies at conferences too!

11. Good philosophy, Amber. I’m really glad I got to meet you!

12. Thanks for commenting Toby. You would not believe some of the responses I’ve received – some replies were for the wrong book and the wrong author!

13. Dana says:

The lemon curd sounds good, but how do you use it?

14. Hi Dana! How are you? We eat it with a spoon, but I’ve spread it on toast, croissants, used it as filling for lemon pie or tarts. It has the consistency of lemon pudding but without the cornstarch. Here’s a my recipe from my other blog – http://distaffsight.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/luscious-lemon-curd/

15. I think it is wonderful you did do it. So many amazing authors are passed on because one person dont like them.

Ah, memories of Sara Wise and did you also run into a sea front bar too after a horrible meeting?

But in the end from what I can tell from you and Jaye and Penny, Michael Hicks, Rachel Thompson and many other’s you have to work hard but much more satisfying and what ‘little’ you make is yours

17. Diana Stevan says:

I so love your honesty and generosity in sharing your journey. Sounds similar to mine except I haven’t won any contests. Life is short. If at first one door doesn’t open, you try a different door, or a different house, huh?

18. Absolutely, Diana. Why beat your head against a wall? So counterproductive.

19. Yeah, almost Tom. You know that scene? Word for word. The funny thing is I got a review and the reviewer said the only scene that didn’t ring true (and we’re talking about a ghost romance) was the scene with the publisher. And that was taken exactly from real life. Real true life. Too funny!