I Always Knew the IOC was STOOPID!

But this is flat out insanity.

Quiet class.  Time for your history lesson.

Wrestling in the Olympics in Ancient Greece.

Wrestling in the Olympics in Ancient Greece.

From Olympic.org

“According to historical records, the first ancient Olympic Games can be traced back to 776 BC. They were dedicated to the Olympian gods and were staged on the ancient plains of Olympia. They continued for nearly 12 centuries, until Emperor Theodosius decreed in 393 A.D. that all such “pagan cults” be banned.

“The ancient Olympic Games were initially a one-day event until 684 BC, when they were extended to three days. In the 5th century B.C., the Games were extended again to cover five days.”

Ancient events included:

Running.

Jumping.

Discus throw.

Wrestling.  This was highly valued as a form of military exercise without weapons. It ended only when one of the contestants admitted defeat.

Boxing.

Pankration – a form of martial arts.

Equestrian.

So, class, let me pose this question– Why would the IOC eliminate a sport valued the world over, a sport as historic and traditional as Wrestling?

Well, in case you haven’t been paying attention, they did.  Why will Wrestling be eliminated?  So the IOC can make room for professional golfers.

The IOC already eliminated the very popular sports of baseball and softball because they felt they were too Western…  Now the IOC is eliminating Wrestling, a sport in which many smaller nations participate.

Wrestling has been an historic part of the Olympics, if not in fact then in spirit, for over 2500 years.

We have Olympic badminton.  We have Olympic ballroom dancing.  We have Olympic synchronized diving and synchronized swimming.  We have Olympic rhythmic gymnastics.

But we can’t have Wrestling?  Shame on you, IOC.  Shame.

My husband, who was an All-State Wrestler back in the day, plans to boycott the Summer Olympics until Wrestling is restored.

This entry was posted in nature, popular culture, Slightly Off Topic, sports and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to I Always Knew the IOC was STOOPID!

Pankration was slow execution while the men remained standing. It must have been incredibly horrible to witness, but also the source of our saying “Free lunch for life”. A man who won a Pankration event won free meals for the rest of his most likely truncated life.
    I would like someone to explain to me why wrestling is out of the Olympics and badminton is still in?

I don’t understand why badminton or golf would be in the Olympics and not wrestling.

3. You’ve really hit a sore spot with me. What idiot would take wrestling out and put golf in? Oh, yeah, the ones who want to make more money.

I have watched this on Olympic coverage and have never seen them in a cage or using barbed wire clubs so maybe

never mind I know when I am being stoopid, I don’t need to be told

I agree. I was appalled about this. It’s a shame.

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!!!!

6. Yup, Pens. Boycott! That’s about all we can do. So wrong-headed.

7. I can see getting rid of badminton, Tom, and ballroom dancing – which is not a sport but an art. But not wrestling! Anyway, doesn’t Ishbel love WWE?

8. Exactly, Stephanie. You nailed it.

9. Absolutely, Amber. Makes no sense at all.

10. Interesting, Kat. I knew you’d know what pankration was. Ewwww. Sad and scary. And very interesting. Yes, I cannot imagine how the IOC could even consider removing Wrestling.

11. Well, I have thought the Oh-Limp_Ics have been getting dumber and dumber for years. With ridiculous rules and the lack of sanity there’s too much money in it now.

It is no longer so much a competition as it is an audition.

I don’t mean this for everyone, I think many athletes are fabulous and hardworking. If I were an athlete I would do other games instead. I am personally going to wait for Olympic Pilates.

12. hubby says:

Steph, would you settle for competitive yoga? It is on the list of possible sports for inclusion. The one new sport I would love to see is speed climbing, especially side by side. That would be fun but not at the expense of wrestling. Those poor schlubs spend half their lives sweating off weight in a smelly wrestling room and now they are being denied their 60 seconds of fame. Not fair. Golfers and tennis players couldn’t care less about an Olympic medal and they get to train at country clubs.

13. I agree about the money, Steph. There has to be money, but for some of the sports amateur is misleading.

14. Thanks, hon. Here! Here!

15. Ray Plasse says:

Well I’m rooting for Ballroom Dancing to fill that hole because That ‘Ribbon on a stick shit’ just ain’t enough!

16. Oh Ray, ICAM! Now they throw balls up in the air too, it’s not just ribbons! ;)

17. Ray Plasse says:

Julia……ICAM ?

18. Ray Plasse says:

Never mind. I just got it! I want Woman’s Softball and Men’s Baseball back too! But definitely bring back wrestling! It truly belongs in the Olympics!

19. You and my husband, Ray. I so want softball and baseball back in the Olympics! But of all sports to cut wrestling seems to be one of the least likely. I heard someone from the IOC has been forced to resign over this. Yay!

20. Ray Plasse says:

But surely more then one person is responsible for these decisions. Wrestling must go back to the Greeks. (Though I’m sure ‘Ribbons on a Stick” must go back a few centuries right!)

21. I suspect there are many people involved, Ray, but I guess one guy gets to take the fall.